Remove this ad

w8eeo

Lead

Jul 13 14 10:04 AM

Tags : :

Beware of Beryllium...We are all warned of the dangers of Beryllium, here is why!From EE Times Europe
Researchers discover how beryllium causes deadly lung disease
July 04, 2014 | Jean-Pierre Joosting | 222906517 Beryllium is fairly common in the mobile industry and for many years there has been a fair amount of controversy over its use in electronics. Purportedly safe if handled correctly, researchers have discovered the mechanism by which beryllium causes a deadly lung disease...http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2014/july/beware_of_beryllium.htm#.U8KSG1Hfu5l

Last Edited By: w8eeo Jul 13 14 10:08 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Gloria

#1 [url]

Aug 30 14 3:59 PM

I had not heard that beryllium was particularly dangerous. It was fascinating to read how the metal interacts with the immune system, and hopefully they will be able to use this new information to create a treatment.

Quote    Reply   

FeverPitch

#3 [url]

Sep 8 14 1:01 PM

I was unaware of it too. I wonder what current precautions they take to prevent beryllium-related issues. I assume they use some kind of mask to (hopefully) prevent inhalation.

Quote    Reply   

Spyra

#4 [url]

Apr 28 16 9:30 AM

FeverPitch wrote:
I was unaware of it too. I wonder what current precautions they take to prevent beryllium-related issues. I assume they use some kind of mask to (hopefully) prevent inhalation.

I'm glad that the scientists found out about this so we can prevent the sickness somehow. I wonder which part of computer and phone contain beryllium the most. If there is genetic predisposition, it is ideal to do a genetic check before working. Too bad not all companies can do a thorough health check-up for their employees.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Sellie

#5 [url]

May 2 16 4:30 AM

Genetic check-up before work sounds overboard because I bet there are lots of other works which can be harmful to people with genetic predisposition. Using masks during work should be the main prevention method. I wonder if we need different kind of masks to prevent beryllium inhalation.

Quote    Reply   

Pinstripe

#6 [url]

May 10 16 7:06 AM

Now all hey have to do is stop the mechanism. Good work is being done here, but you have to wonder what's next. What else will we find that we never gave any thought to, that will come to show is unhealthy for us in some way?

Quote    Reply   

billfrank

#7 [url]

May 24 16 2:18 PM

Reading the article, I am left to wonder what the phrase 'if handled correctly' really means. That it causes a 'deadly lung disease' is enough reason for researchers to suggest the best mechanisms of avoiding tragedy or even bringing forward the available alternatives. Perhaps extensive research is necessary.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help