Remove this ad

w8eeo

Lead

Jul 26 14 2:15 AM

Tags : :

How to build and fly your own 2.4 GHz droneBBC TV reports on the enthusiasts who are using 2400 MHz to control their home-made smartphone equipped drones

The BBC report personal aerial drones that take pictures could soon become a lot more common, thanks to a new invention.

The Flone - which won the Next Things award 2013 - turns a mobile phone into a drone, which can fly up to 20m (65ft) above the ground while taking photos or videos.

Speaking at the recent Sonar+D event in Barcelona, Alexandre Oliver and Lot Amorós explained how they want to make the air space accessible to everyone, rather than just the military or big multi-national companies.

Video filmed and produced by Sara Barman

Watch the BBC TV report at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28090632

Is it a phone? Is it a drone? No, it's a flone!
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2014/jul/24/phone-drone-flone
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Gloria

#1 [url]

Aug 26 14 10:44 AM

I've seen some flones around here. They can take some pretty decent pictures and videos but it is a little eerie to see them hovering around. I bet phone insurance wouldn't cover flone accidents!

Quote    Reply   

Sellie

#3 [url]

Mar 27 16 11:36 AM

I haven’t seen any around where I live, though I’ve seen people flying their drones before. I second Rachel, the name Flone sounds very likeable. It seems like a pretty interesting DIY project, but I might need more detailed instructions to make that happen.

Quote    Reply   

Spyra

#4 [url]

Apr 28 16 8:42 AM

Flone sounds cool and cute and the same time. I went on a short hiking trip a while back and several groups brought their drones (or flones, probably) to capture the views from the summit. I can see this project gets popular in the future. I just hope people won't abuse this wonderful tool to hurt others.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

w8eeo

#5 [url]

Apr 28 16 5:21 PM

Scheme to design and build a flone

I guess a lot of people are using the flones for different purposes. One thing some people in the hills here use them for is spotting game such a deer etc.
There are a lot of plans for home  made flones on google.
One article I wrote down some back is at:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:113497
Also a source of materials if you wanted to build one.
I have it on my list of things to do but I am tied up pretty much of the time and don't get to the work bench very much. This is interesting stuff here!

Quote    Reply   

Spyra

#6 [url]

Apr 29 16 8:54 AM

w8eeo wrote:
I guess a lot of people are using the flones for different purposes. One thing some people in the hills here use them for is spotting game such a deer etc.
There are a lot of plans for home  made flones on google.
One article I wrote down some back is at:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:113497
Also a source of materials if you wanted to build one.
I have it on my list of things to do but I am tied up pretty much of the time and don't get to the work bench very much. This is interesting stuff here!

Thank you for sharing, w8eeo! I will take a look at it more later. From your post and few other articles I found on the internet, most use Android phones to make flones. Does it mean that it's not yet available for other types of phone? I can understand that Android is easy to access, though.

Quote    Reply   

Pinstripe

#7 [url]

May 10 16 6:58 AM

If someone could give me a practical application for this I would be more apt to get on board. It looks neat and all, but what benefit will I get out of going through the trouble of making it?

Quote    Reply   

gvinn

#8 [url]

May 26 16 12:13 PM

I was very thrilled the first time I saw an aerial drone. I did not know what it was then but after taking a look at the picture quality, I was convinced it was worth purchasing.

It would be interesting to create a drone from scratch.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help