Remove this ad

Gloria

Lead

Aug 29 14 10:27 AM

Tags : :

When you were preparing for your ham radio license, did you study everything online or did you look for a local club to help you?  What were the pros and cons of your approach?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

FeverPitch

#1 [url]

Aug 30 14 5:55 PM

I liked having a local club. It was a nice way to socialize as I learned, and while I enjoy online communities, I really like being able to ask questions in person too.

Quote    Reply   

Rachel

#2 [url]

Sep 9 14 5:34 AM

I think a combination of both would be good. (:

You can have a group of people to discuss it with as well as being able to study on your own time.

Quote    Reply   

White Noise

#3 [url]

Jan 25 16 9:19 AM

Clubs are good for the social aspect, while online learning will give you much more practical information.

They both have their uses and they are both just as important.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Chocolat3

#4 [url]

Mar 15 16 3:11 AM

As a beginner, I think it would be best to start from a club. It is usually hard to stay strong and motivated at the beginning; friends with similar interest will be very helpful in this stage. Once you have learned the basics and feel more confident to work alone, allocating more private time will take you further. Sometimes teaching others help to improve your skill and understanding as well. That is one method you can try if you feel tired or bored studying alone.

Quote    Reply   

HamBuff

#5 [url]

Mar 18 16 1:41 PM

I passed the test before the Internet was around. Twice a week I meet with a group of people and we studied for the test. We had help from a few people that had passed their test. It would have been easier if we could have seen the questions and studied online or with an app on our phones.

Quote    Reply   

Sellie

#6 [url]

Mar 27 16 10:45 AM

I have a very messy schedule so participating in a club/group meetings isn’t ideal. I managed to find plenty of materials online, but I do admit that studying alone makes me prone to slacking off. Having friends who can keep your motivations up might be good.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help