Remove this ad

FeverPitch

Lead

Aug 30 14 5:46 PM

Tags : :

=10ptAre there any basic kits to build your own antenna?  It seems like it would be an interesting project to do, although I admit it’s a little intimidating too.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Gloria

#1 [url]

Aug 31 14 8:35 AM

Yes, I've seen some antenna tuner kits online. Prices seem to vary a lot, so I guess you'd better look at reviews before you buy anything so you don't end up overpaying and/or with a piece of junk.

Quote    Reply   

FeverPitch

#2 [url]

Aug 31 14 10:34 AM

Yes, I'm worried about overpaying for low quality. Also I've never tried to build anything like this before so I need a fairly simple kit as opposed to one that has me do almost everything from scratch.

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#3 [url]

Sep 2 14 12:22 AM

Google is a ham's best friend!

I am sure everyone knows that there is a wealth of information on-line about almost any subject. I googled "ham antenna kits that work well" and got 625, 000 hits. Since computers have been around I have always had one is the ham shack. Before I buy anything or pursue any "brain storm"  that I have at the moment I always see what the rest of the world thinks about my plans. You can get "pros & cons" about nearly every subject.

Quote    Reply   

FeverPitch

#4 [url]

Sep 2 14 12:58 PM

Yes, going online is a great resource. I like to talk to other people about their experiences with products when I can, so I often ask about stuff on forums as well as Googling.

Quote    Reply   

Rachel

#5 [url]

Sep 8 14 3:04 PM

I've never used one myself, but I have seen them online. I would recommend doing your research and reading reviews first.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

HamBuff

#6 [url]

Jan 28 16 5:03 PM

If you’re interested in a reading product review about a particular item, it’s best to search for a product review website. Normally a company won’t post a negative review on their website. 

Last Edited By: HamBuff Mar 8 16 11:01 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Sunshine

#7 [url]

Jan 28 16 5:21 PM

I've always found with reviews for anything that you have to read between the lines. Especially technical items. Unfortunately, there will always be a number of people who review something badly not because it's bad, but because they couldn't figure out the instructions, or how to make it work. 

Quote    Reply   

HamBuff

#8 [url]

Jan 29 16 3:37 PM

It’s difficult to believe all the reviews online these days. Normally I try to talk with a person who has purchased a kit and find out how they like it. 

Last Edited By: HamBuff Mar 8 16 10:59 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Sunshine

#9 [url]

Jan 30 16 6:14 PM

Especially if you know the person, and trust that they are actually capable of building the item in the first place. With friends and others that you know well, you can judge quite nicely whether a piece of kit is worth trying. 

Quote    Reply   

Speak Easy

#10 [url]

Feb 3 16 8:30 PM

I’m interested in building a new antenna for my home.  However, I’m not sure which kit I should buy. Does anyone know of a good antenna kit I can buy?

Last Edited By: Speak Easy Mar 11 16 3:31 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help