Remove this ad

FeverPitch

Lead

Sep 1 14 4:35 PM

Tags : :

=10ptHow badly do solar flares disrupt ham radio communications?  Does it depend on whether you are using higher or lower frequencies?  How long do the flares typically last?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Gloria

#1 [url]

Sep 2 14 10:09 AM

The flares themselves last maybe an hour or so but I think we'd notice effects for longer than that. As for the amount of disruption, it depends on the flare. Sometimes they can even help, I hear, but I don't know if that is true.

Quote    Reply   

FeverPitch

#2 [url]

Sep 2 14 12:53 PM

Yes, I thought they just made communication more difficult but I googled it after reading your comment. I guess flares can sometimes help with propagation if the top part of the ionosphere is affected but the bottom part isn't. I don't know how that would happen though.

Quote    Reply   

Gloria

#3 [url]

Sep 3 14 9:16 AM

Yes, I'm still learning the physics of it myself and have been reading up since you posted this question. The basic idea is that high frequency radio waves bounce off the ionosphere, particularly the upper layers. The lowest layer is most likely to interfere with HF waves, so you want more ionization at the top for longer skips.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FeverPitch

#4 [url]

Sep 3 14 10:00 AM

That's helpful. Thank you. It sounds like small solar flares, then, would be ideal for DXing, but larger ones would hinder it. Is that overstating potential benefits?

Quote    Reply   

Gloria

#5 [url]

Sep 4 14 1:31 PM

You might be overstating it, but I couldn't say for certain one way or the other. Ideal is a pretty lofty term, though. I’d just say that small solar flares can help with DXing.

Quote    Reply   

White Noise

#6 [url]

Jan 20 16 6:47 AM

FeverPitch wrote:
Yes, I thought they just made communication more difficult but I googled it after reading your comment. I guess flares can sometimes help with propagation if the top part of the ionosphere is affected but the bottom part isn't. I don't know how that would happen though.

The only reason I can think of is if the flare isn't strong enough to reach the lower ionosphere. I'm no expert, but that just sounds logical.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help