Remove this ad

w8eeo

Lead

Nov 22 14 9:03 PM

Tags : :

The Chair of the IARU Region 1 Youth Working Group, Lisa Leenders PA2LS, has been updating the Yongsters On The Air Month page
During December several countries will become active with YOTA as the suffix for the call sign. The idea for this is to break the ice for some youngsters and take the microphone in the hand. As seen over the years the YOTA-group is growing fast and every week more youngsters are asking to participate.

Let us all make YOTA popular in our hobby and let us all help to put youngsters on the HAM radio train!…

Details of YOTA Month are at
http://ham-yota.eu/december-yota-month/

Twitter @hamyota #hamyota
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

w8eeo

#1 [url]

Dec 1 14 6:17 PM

Yota starts today

Youngsters On The Air month starts today, 35 Callsigns with a YOTA suffix will become active during the whole month of December.
This year stations widely spread through Region 1 will be taking part, not only Europe, but also from Africa and Middle-East, even two stations outside the Region from Asia and the Caribbean's are part of this event.

Feel free to make a QSO with the youngsters, they are happy to get some attention and exchange information. Licensed and unlicensed youth will be making QSO's, be aware this could be their first radio contact ever and give them a chance to experience a possible new hobby.

There is a special award available for working more YOTA stations.
All information, also about QSLing, is available on the December YOTA month website.
http://www.ham-yota.com/december-yota-month/

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#2 [url]

Jan 7 15 2:39 PM

Kids Day 1/4/15

Kids learn about ham radioThe Register-Guard reports on young people learning about amateur radio, a hobby that can serve a need

Kids Day took place on Sunday, January 4. It's an event designed to promote Amateur Radio to youth enabling radio amateurs to share the excitement of the hobby with their kids or grandkids, a Scout troop, a Church or the general public.

Liam, a 7-year-old Corvallis resident, was one of those who enjoyed a brief conversation Saturday morning over the airwaves of the Valley Radio Club of Oregon’s amateur radio station, which operates from a corner of the computer room at the Science Factory children’s museum in Eugene.

“This is a technology that kids should know about,” club member Scott Rosenfeld N7JI said while helping Liam find the spot on a radio dial that happened to connect him to Joel in Las Vegas for a bit of small talk.

Read the full story at
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/32611379-75/amateur-radio-station-up-and-running-at-science-factory-in-eugene.html.csp

Kids Day
http://www.arrl.org/kids-day

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#3 [url]

Jul 20 15 2:33 PM

Youngsters On The Air (YOTA) 2015

YOTA Team Ireland, consisting of Ger McNamara EI4GXB IRTS Youth Co-ordinator, James Canning SWL, son of Brian EI8IU and Aaron O’Reilly SWL, son of Stan EI7DGB are currently attending YOTA 2015 in Tuscany, Italy.

The week of activities will include DX presentations, Youth Contesting, ARDF, ARISS, Antenna Building, Learning CW, Kit Building and lots more. The Irish team will be active on HF during the week using the callsign
II5YOTA and look forward to working many EI’s.

Ireland have participated at numerous YOTA camps in the past and The Youngsters On the Air website can be found at www.ham-yota.com

The YOTA camp is sponsored by IARU and team Ireland are very grateful to IRTS for sponsoring their flights to the event.

IRTS

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#4 [url]

Jul 28 15 1:47 AM

YOTA 2015

YOTA Team Ireland, consisting of Ger McNamara EI4GXB IRTS Youth Co-ordinator, James Canning SWL, Son of Brian EI8IU and Aaron O’Reilly SWL, Son of Stan EI7DGB are currently attending YOTA 2015 in Tuscany, Italy.The week of activities will include DX presentations, Youth Contesting, ARDF, ARISS, Antenna Building, Learning CW, Kit Building and lots more.The Irish team will be active on HF during the week using the callsign
II5YOTA and look forward to working many EI’s.Ireland have participated at numerous YOTA camps in the past and The Youngsters On the Air website can be found at www.ham-yota.comThe YOTA camp is sponsored by IARU and team Ireland are very grateful to IRTS for sponsoring their flights to the eventIRTS

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#5 [url]

Dec 2 15 4:22 AM

YOTA activity

A number of special event stations are dedicating the whole of December 2015 to Youth activities, aiming to attract youngsters to the hobby.Among the calls to be active are:
3V8YOTA, 9A0YOTA, 9A15YOTA, A2YOTA, A43YOTA, DQ0YOTA, EA1RCG/YOA, EG9YOTA, EI0YOTA, ES9YOTA, G15YOTA, GI15YOTA, GM15YOTA, GW15YOTA, HA8YOTA, HB9YOTA, HG0YOTA, II2YOTA, II5YOTA, J62YOTA, LX4YOTA, LY5YOTA, LZ2015YOTA, OD5RI/YOTA, OE0YOTA, OE15YOTA, OH2YOTA, OL15YOTA, OM15YOTA, OM9YOTA, ON4YOTA, PA6YOTA, PD6YOTA, SH9YOTA, SP3YOTA, YT15YOTA, and
ZS9YOTA.QSL via OM2FY, ClubLog OQRS.http://www.ham-yota.com/DXNL

Last Edited By: w8eeo Dec 2 15 4:37 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#6 [url]

Dec 13 15 6:16 PM

ZS6ZU Hammies camping-out for YOTA

The ZS6ZU Hammies Amateur Radio Club will be participating in the December IARU Youngsters On The Air event next weekend the 19th to 20th December operating as ZS9YOTA from the National Amateur Radio Centre (NARC) at Sentech Radiokop from 12 noon Saturday to 12 noon Sunday.Start time is from 10am for the introduction to digital modes and station set up.If you are under the age of 25, you are cordially invited to participate in this prestigious event. We will be operating two stations non-stop for 24 hours. One station will be working on the 10, 15 and 20 meter bands and the other on the 40 and 80 meter bands.You do not have to be a licensed operator to join in the fun. You will be working under an experienced licensed operator who will be there to guide you all the way.We will be sleeping over at NARC, so if you want to stay over for the 24 hours, you are responsible for your own food, sleeping gear, toiletries, change of clothes, cutlery, mugs and snacks as well as a torch.The club braai master Graham ZS6GL, will be attending to the fire, early Saturday evening. Refreshments will be provided. Dinner Hamburgers and Breakfast Cereal and muffins.To help cover costs, a small donation will be welcome.If you are going to join in and will be staying overnight, then please contact Noel ZR6DX on 082 490 9934 Graham ZS6GL on 083 442 7777 or email  zr6dxiafrica.comSARL

For the latest news about Ham Radio, Communications, Radio News, Space and Radio History check my forum at http://hamchatforum.com

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Lady T

#7 [url]

Dec 30 15 11:55 AM

I think this is a good activity for kids. It is a much better alternative than playing video games. It takes a bit of skill and know-how.and is a good learning tool.

Quote    Reply   

Lonesome Polecat

#8 [url]

Jan 19 16 10:17 PM

I feel this is an excellent activity for children. I’d rather see my son learning a new skill than playing a video game or watching television. I plan on enrolling my son for the two day event. 

Last Edited By: Lonesome Polecat Mar 7 16 10:28 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Beeeebo

#9 [url]

Mar 11 16 3:58 PM

Are there any plans of upcoming events like this? It would be a great way of introducing my kids to the radio world and the many ways radio is used today.

Quote    Reply   

Stevie Wonder

#10 [url]

Mar 16 16 7:34 PM

I’d like to know if you have a new schedule for this year’s activities so I can register my son. My son attended the event in December of last year and loved it. He would like to go back this year.

Quote    Reply   

HamBuff

#11 [url]

Mar 17 16 3:32 PM

I’m sorry I missed the event last December. My daughter and son are interested in Ham radios. Hopefully, this year I can send them to a few of the ZS6ZU Hammies Amateur Radio Club scheduled events.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help