Remove this ad

w8eeo

Lead

Dec 15 14 6:21 PM

Tags : :

Ashley Hennefer writes about some of the early female radio amateurs

Many hams consider amateur radio to be the original maker skill, requiring knowledge of electricity, geography and communication. And it’s one of many mediums that gave women the chance to have a global voice — and they took it.

Read the article at
http://www.themarysue.com/female-ham-radio-operators/
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Lonesome Polecat

#1 [url]

Jan 18 16 9:21 PM

I personally believe it’s time to recognize women for their knowledge and skills as a ham radio operator. Take for example, Gladys Kathleen Perkin. She received her ham radio license at the age of 9. .

Last Edited By: Lonesome Polecat Mar 7 16 10:31 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

White Noise

#2 [url]

Jan 19 16 8:00 AM

In time, I'm sure they will. The "Good ole boys club" mentality is slowly fading into the sunset.

I'll have to read up on Gladys Parkin, I wasn't aware of what you pointed out.

Quote    Reply   

HamBuff

#3 [url]

Jan 27 16 10:08 PM

This is very interesting and I had no idea that women still have a dominate role in this field today. As far as I knew women became telegraph and ham radio operators during the war. 

Last Edited By: HamBuff Mar 8 16 11:14 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Spyra

#4 [url]

Apr 29 16 9:59 AM

It is always encouraging to hear stories of people's attempt to reach new level in various activities. Such strong determination is shown in the story of Clara Reger who got the license at old age. It's funny that she and other female hams were called "young lady" at that age, but perhaps that was to show respect to the efforts they put.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help