Remove this ad

w8eeo

Lead

Jan 15 16 10:41 PM

Tags : :

An astrophysicist on Reddit writes about why she will no longer use the term "YL" on the air.
http://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/3zqkb1/on_gender_imbalances_in_ham_radio_and_why_i_will/

Last Edited By: w8eeo Jan 15 16 10:45 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

White Noise

#1 [url]

Jan 18 16 7:45 AM

I can see her point, but this sort of thing isn't going to change overnight for quite a few reasons. Not the least of which is because there are not a lot of women who are brought up being taught that this is an acceptable thing for females to do. More or less, it's just a "guy thing".I'm sure she knows this. .

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#2 [url]

Jan 23 16 4:42 AM

There is no such thing as a "guy" thing or a "gal" thing except in closed minds!

White Noise wrote:
 More or less, it's just a "guy thing".I'm sure she knows this. .
I agree with most of what you say and over the years I have known several males who wanted to establish that ham radio is a "guy thing". However, ham radio is just another pursuit which gives equal consideration to both male and female in modern times (both by law and practice). The same thing happened in space travel, professional golf, heading large industrial plants, medical practice, etc. Over time women have shown that they can do just about anything they set their mind to do. In many cases they have excelled.
I am aware that there is a difference between the male and female traditional role. However, there is no such thing as a "guy" thing or a  "gal " thing in my mind in any area or pursuit. I told my kids and grandkids early in life there are no fences to stop them from doing what they want to do. If you want something- go for it!

Last Edited By: w8eeo Jan 23 16 4:53 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#3 [url]

Jan 24 16 12:21 AM

This is another example where "gals" have shown what they can do!

I mentioned this earlier but thought I would give another example where women have excelled as space explorers:
http://hamchatforum.lefora.com/topic/3074589/women-made-decision-look-participate-space-travel#.Vo4iBWHNSBs
They have shown in space travel that they can perform well. Many are instructors now. Also, many have died in the process.
By the way most of them also happen to be ham operators.

Quote    Reply   

Beeeebo

#4 [url]

Mar 18 16 6:16 PM

I feel its up to us as women to decide what we can and can't do! I think its beginning to show in video gaming and will transfer into such things as radio, math and sciences as girls in society grow to see more women taking action and showing how competent they are.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help