Remove this ad

Chocolat3

Lead

Mar 16 16 2:57 AM

Tags : :

Ham radios may be operated by amateurs, but there are still expenses to cover. It may take a toll on the operators' group over a long period if they must cover everything on their own. Is there any method related to broadcasting which can help bring revenue for the team? Or is it not necessary at all?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Access Time

#1 [url]

Mar 16 16 8:22 PM

Chocolate3 what type of operating expenses are you talking about? Amateur radio operators invest in their initial equipment and maintenance. Once I invested in my initial equipment, I haven’t had any operating expenses.

Quote    Reply   

HamBuff

#2 [url]

Mar 18 16 1:51 PM

Chocolate3 I just watched a video on YouTube about making money with ham radio. I understand each year we need to pay our license fees and it can be expensive if we don’t have an income source. Here is a link to the video if you’re interested in watching it.

Quote    Reply   

Chocolat3

#3 [url]

Mar 21 16 3:52 AM

Access Time, I was referring to long-time maintenance fees, for example to fix or upgrade equipment along the way. Given that this is mostly hobby for the operators, perhaps many do not exactly mind the fees as long as they can do their hobby. For those who need more financial support, though, starting and maintaining this hobby may be more difficult compared to others. In a sense, it does feel wonderful to get paid while doing your hobby to at least cover the expenses.

HamBuff, thank you for the video. Looks like selling self-made tools to the right audience is the most promising method.

Quote    Reply   

w8eeo

#4 [url]

Mar 21 16 1:44 PM

There are restrictions against using personal amateur radio gear for monetary gain

Section 97 of the laws regulating ham radio operation for gain can be found at Section 97.113
For more information check http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=about_1&id=amateur
Of course, you can buy and sell gear, repair gear, invent gear, trade gear, invent and sell antennas,  or what have you. but you can not broadcast for gain on the ham bands.

The following link will direct you to a lot of information about rules, regulations and general information: http://www.hamuniverse.com/fccinformation.html

Last Edited By: w8eeo Mar 21 16 8:10 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

Access Time

#5 [url]

Mar 22 16 3:50 PM

Thank you, W8eeo. I had forgotten about this law regarding broadcasting for money. It’s been years since I took my test. However, I do recall this could have been on my test. Furthermore, if a small club wants to earn revenues this is a good idea to build antennas and repair equipment.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help