Remove this ad

Chocolat3

Lead

Mar 22 16 10:12 PM

Tags : :

Have you ever heard of space-based solar power? Simply put, sunlight power is preserved at orbiting satellites instead of equipment on earth's surface. It is said that energy saved is bigger because sunlight does not have to go through atmosphere which diffuses the light. The question is how we can transfer the energy from orbiting satellites to earth. Researches are working on transmitting the energy by converting it to microwaves. Once it arrives at earth's surface, it is converted back to electricity. Many raise concerns related to radiation if we use this method. We will need to provide big space and protection to make sure the process is safe.

What is your opinion on this technology?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Cristian

#1 [url]

Mar 25 16 8:58 AM

This sounds like it could be a really great improvement for us as long as they find a way to keep everyone safe. I wonder how much of the energy is actually going to get lost once it is redirected back to Earth and converted over. Do you think that it might be enough to where they are just better off sticking to solar panels here on Earth?

Quote    Reply   

Sellie

#2 [url]

Mar 28 16 11:40 AM

That’s an interesting concept, but I’m a bit skeptical about the “transfer from space” and “convert on earth” part of the process. That sounds like there will be quite a portion of the energy generated lost in the process. I agree with Cristian, I wonder if it’s more effective to just work on making more (or more efficient) solar panels on earth?

Quote    Reply   

Lightnight

#3 [url]

Apr 9 16 1:30 PM

It seems there would be diffusion effects either way. I understand the need for solar panels to power satellites most efficiently, yet I can't see how the power could effectively be transferred to Earth. How would they control the microwaves to avoid harm?

Quote    Reply   

Chocolat3

#4 [url]

Jun 2 16 3:57 AM

It's said that at least 50% of energy is lost due to atmosphere and interference with animals or plants. Microwaves lose less energy than that, which means Earth will receive so much of the energy that it may be dangerous. We must build a strong receiver to avoid side effects. It's pretty controversial because it's a risky procedure. I do wonder if it will be better to just make more effective solar panels on earth instead.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help