Remove this ad

mellina

Lead

Nov 25 09 1:53 PM

Tags : :

1. Open My Computer.
  2. Right-click on the hard disk drive that you wish to regain hard disk drive space. For example, right-click on the C: drive.
  3. Click Properties.
  4. Within the General tab, click the "Disk Cleanup" button located next to the pie chart.
  5. Windows will scan the computer for all files available to clean up.
  6. Once in the Disk Cleanup window check each of the boxes (except "compress old files") that are taking disk space and click Ok and then Yes if you wish to proceed.

Compress?

When performing a Disk Cleanup you'll have an option to compress your hard drive. We strongly recommend users do not compress their hard disk drive and/or compress their old files.

Uninstall old programs or games no longer used

Information about how to uninstall programs can be found in document CH000347.

Additional suggestion for Windows 2000 and Windows XP users:

Window 2000 and Windows XP keeps all the necessary files needed to uninstall any of the updates ever installed on your computer. Often this is several dozen updates that can take up several hundred and sometimes over 1 gig of space on your hard disk drive. See document CH000849 for additional information about these folders, how to locate them, and delete them.

Disable System Restore

Windows XP and Vista users can also decrease the default space utilized by Windows System Restore and often gain several additional gigabytes of hard disk drive space. See the below steps in customizing this feature.

1. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and open System Restore.
  2. Within the System Restore window, click System Restore Settings.
  3. Within the System Restore tab you can either check the Turn off System Restore on all drives to completely disable this feature, or click the Settings button and decrease the space usage, which we would recommend.

Disable hibernation

If you turn your computer off instead of using hibernation mode you can disable this feature to free up a lot of disk space. Additional information about disabling hibernate can be found be found on document CH001000.

Microsoft Windows 95 users

Users can regain computer hard disk space by performing any or all of the below steps.

Clean up temporary files

1. Click Start and then Search or Find
  2. In the "File Type" text field type: *.tmp and verify the computer is looking at the C: drive or the drive that contains your operating system.
  3. Search for files and delete each of the temporary files that are found.

Delete chk files

Perform the same steps as number one except search for *.chk and delete any of the files that are found.

Uninstall old programs or games no longer used

Information about how to uninstall programs can be found in document CH000347.

MS-DOS and Windows 3.x users

Users can regain computer hard disk drive space by performing any or all of the below steps.

1. From the MS-DOS prompt, type del *.tmp /s and del *.chk /s. This command will delete any temporary files or scandisk error files on the hard disk drive.
  2. Delete any software programs or games you are no longer using from MS-DOS or from Windows.

See our del command page or our deltree command page for additional information about each of these commands.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

grummed

#1 [url]

Feb 24 10 1:46 PM

In our daily life, we still hear lots PC users constantly complain that they do not have enough disk space, though the capacity of which is becoming considerably larger than ever before. So it has been a desired hope for them to regain more hard disk space.

Normally, the useless system junk files and the programs installed on the computer may take a large amount of disk space. A removal of them will help remarkably release more available hard disk space. But please do not miss one important part --- the duplicate files, which also takes a lots of hard drive space. Here, we will discuss how to effectively regain hard disk space by removing those annoying duplicates.

First of all, it is necessary for us to note that after being used for a very long time, there will be inevitably some useless files generated and a considerable number of them are duplicate files, which are documents, audio files or pictures. Besides, sometime we will store some files on the computer many times without realizing that we have ever stored it before. Times by, as the increasing amount of the duplicate files, more hard disk space will be taken up and wasted, which stops us from successfully storing our favorite games, files, movies. So it has been an urgent task to remove the duplicate file to regain more available hard disk space in order to enjoy a more colorful computer life.

Quote    Reply   

grummed

#2 [url]

Feb 24 10 1:46 PM

When noticing that there are too many duplicates on my computer, I have ever tried manually to remove them. But unfortunately, it was a so huge and tedious project that I couldn't manage it myself because sometimes some files were stored on several different disks with different names. When taking this with one of my friends, he recommended me to use one program named Duplicate File Cleaner, telling me that it is a duplicate finder which can scan and then delete duplicates with variable scan modes and filters.

Though not quite convinced, I still went to have a trial, and found that it provided very friendly user interface and several sections to scan/remove the duplicate files, like duplicate emails, music, pictures. When trying to delete the duplicate pictures from my computer, what I have to do was to first select the "Picture" tab ->select the drives or directories that I wanted to scan-> select the specific scan mode like for same name ->click "Scan Now" to begin the scanning process. Once the scan finished, I could simply select some ones or select all to delete. With the help of this program, I was able to remove the duplicate files from my computer effectively within only a few minutes.

In conclusion, if you want to regain more available hard disk space when using the computer, please do not forget to remove duplicate files. This will help to release as much hard disk space as possible.

Quote    Reply   

thatsitfornow

#3 [url]

Feb 24 10 1:47 PM

This tip is useful for most Windows Operating System based PC users where in they want to regain the hard disk storage space instead of buying a new Hard Disk Drive. Currently you would find these options only in Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP and Vista. If you find that your Disk Drives are full and you get a message for the same then its time for buying a new External Hard Disk Drive, upgrading your internal hard disk or else applying the following tweaks.

Disk Space Usage Hard Drives
Click on My Computer Icon located on your desktop and go to the desired drive in which you want to regain the space by deleting unnecessary files. Right click on the drive and click on ‘Properties’. On the main first ‘General’ Tab you will find ‘Disk Cleanup’ option, Click on it.

Scanning Disk Drives
It starts scanning for Compressed Old Files, Catalog Files for the Content Indexer & Recycle Bin Files. Then gives you with a quick report on the files which can be deleted, and a option to Check/unCheck them before deleting. Generally these files are permanently deleted and you cannot recover them. The Old Compressed files are those which are saved on your after a certain time period and there is generally no need for those.

Quote    Reply   

thatsitfornow

#4 [url]

Feb 24 10 1:48 PM

Disk Space CleanUp
Once you select these files and CleanUp you would regain a lot of hard disk space which was previously used by useless files.

Disk Space Saved
The saved space may not be very high but it depends on the files space already used and deleted after the above step but it can still help you when you are in urgent need of some Disk Space while installing a new software.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

john21

#5 [url]

Apr 15 10 5:24 PM

When noticing that there are too many duplicates on my computer, I have ever tried manually to remove them. But unfortunately, it was a so huge and tedious project that I couldn't manage it myself because sometimes some files were stored on several different disks with different names. When taking this with one of my friends, he recommended me to use one program named Duplicate File Cleaner, telling me that it is a duplicate finder which can scan and then delete duplicates with variable scan modes and filters.

Though not quite convinced, I still went to have a trial, and found that it provided very friendly user interface and several sections to scan/remove the duplicate files, like duplicate emails, music, pictures. When trying to delete the duplicate pictures from my computer, what I have to do was to first select the "Picture" tab ->select the drives or directories that I wanted to scan-> select the specific scan mode like for same name ->click "Scan Now" to begin the scanning process. Once the scan finished, I could simply select some ones or select all to delete. With the help of this program, I was able to remove the duplicate files from my computer effectively within only a few minutes.

In conclusion, if you want to regain more available hard disk space when using the computer, please do not forget to remove duplicate files. This will help to release as much hard disk space as possible.

Quote    Reply   

teohkay

#6 [url]

Apr 18 10 11:03 AM

In our daily life, we still hear lots PC users constantly complain that they do not have enough disk space, though the capacity of which is becoming considerably larger than ever before. So it has been a desired hope for them to regain more hard disk space.
Normally, the useless system junk files and the programs installed on the computer may take a large amount of disk space. A removal of them will help remarkably release more available hard disk space. But please do not miss one important part --- the duplicate files, which also takes a lots of hard drive space. Here, we will discuss how to effectively regain hard disk space by removing those annoying duplicates.

Quote    Reply   

Finch

#7 [url]

May 29 16 1:14 PM

I just do a simple defrag and it frees up a lot of space. Another thing that I do once a week is to do a disk cleanup that clears up all the cookies and all the temporary files thus freeing up more space, These two things have kept my computer free of unnecessary occupation of disk space.

Quote    Reply   

White Noise

#8 [url]

May 31 16 2:43 AM

The de-frag is ussualy good enough for me as well, and i will periodically go though my program list in the control panel to make sure there isn't any junk in there that I don't need.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help