Remove this ad

collbyt

Lead

Feb 7 10 2:25 AM

Tags : :

right ok, for the last week or so my laptop has had problems connecting to my router(Netgear WPN824) such as sometime it won connect and sometimes it will but when i try to load web pages just says problem loading page, now the icon with 2 computer screens and the blue ball in bottom rght corner shows the wireless is connected but doesnt connect, so today i go to pc world and explain they say my router is broke, so i buy another router(WNR2000) and for a couple of hours its fine then it disconnects and this time the icon in bottom corner shows its disconnected.

can anyone help or have any idea what and where the problem lies.

also could the security key cause these problems, or the router firmware not being up to date?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

intellig

#1 [url]

Feb 7 10 2:29 AM

The security key is either correct or not - it wouldn't cause intermittent connections.

Saying that your router is broken from that information is a very long shot - I'm not surprised it didn't help. It could be any number of things, admittedly including the router (but I certainly wouldn't advise replacing it at the first sign of a problem!)

Since you've ruled out the router, it seems the problem might be with your laptop - can you connect with another computer ok or do you get the same issue?

Quote    Reply   

lonwolf

#3 [url]

Feb 7 10 5:00 AM

I'd check the drivers on the laptop. Update the wireless driver. How far away are you when the signal drops? Does it happen if you are in the same room as the router.
Delete the router's wireless profile from your computer, take off all security, reconnect and see if it keeps you connected. If so, add a lower level security and try again.
Take your laptop to a hotspot (fast food resturant)or a friend/family with wirless and see how it works there. If it stays connected there then it is something with the settings in the router (but not necissarily a bad router).

Quote    Reply   

measure

#4 [url]

Feb 12 10 2:44 PM

With much advancement in the wireless industry it is unfortunate to see people still struggling with setting up a home router.

The options available are extensive and great for an IT expert but cause great pains for the average user. Some people are afraid of teching their homes up because of the complexity involved and the high cost that ensues such complications. There are several wireless companies that are hearing the beck and call of these stranded users and creating more user friendly routers in the future.

But you want to fix the problem now. So here's the best advice for most home router problems.

Quote    Reply   

jam

#7 [url]

Apr 15 10 4:11 PM

The security key is either correct or not - it wouldn't cause intermittent connections.

Saying that your router is broken from that information is a very long shot - I'm not surprised it didn't help. It could be any number of things, admittedly including the router (but I certainly wouldn't advise replacing it at the first sign of a problem!)

Since you've ruled out the router, it seems the problem might be with your laptop - can you connect with another computer ok or do you get the same issue?

Quote    Reply   

maria23

#8 [url]

Apr 16 10 4:51 PM

With much advancement in the wireless industry it is unfortunate to see people still struggling with setting up a home router.

The options available are extensive and great for an IT expert but cause great pains for the average user. Some people are afraid of teching their homes up because of the complexity involved and the high cost that ensues such complications. There are several wireless companies that are hearing the beck and call of these stranded users and creating more user friendly routers in the future.

But you want to fix the problem now. So here's the best advice for most home router problems.

1. Perform a Power Reset by unplugging the power to both your router and PC
  2. While having the power unplugged for 30 Seconds, Leave. Grab your favorite drink.
  3. Reconnect the power plug and try to connect to the network again
  4. If the problem still persists, reset the Router to Factory default settings, usually a small button in back of the router
  5. Simple solution but people tend to forget about it and overwork the problem creating an endless cycle of grief. So just Reset and end the pain.
  6. If you're still having problems and your router was working fine before, you may need a firmware upgrade. And when the frustration amounts to be suicidal we suggest looking into a new router.

Quote    Reply   

sparky

#9 [url]

Apr 17 10 9:03 AM

If you are currently accessing the internet via the same router, then there is nothing wrong with your settings or the router. You are probably typing in the wrong address for the router administration, or more likely you are not typing http:// in front of the router's IP number. That's why I asked what are you typing in for the address. 

Quote    Reply   

oscar

#11 [url]

Apr 17 10 4:37 PM

The options available are extensive and great for an IT expert but cause great pains for the average user. Some people are afraid of teaching their homes up because of the complexity involved and the high cost that ensues such complications. There are several wireless companies that are hearing the beck and call of these stranded users and creating more user friendly routers in the future.

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   

teohkay

#13 [url]

Apr 18 10 11:02 AM

if you are currently accessing the internet via the same router, then there is nothing wrong with your settings or the router. You are probably typing in the wrong address for the router administration, or more likely you are not typing http:// in front of the router's IP number. That's why I asked what are you typing in for the address.

Quote    Reply   

robin2

#14 [url]

Apr 18 10 5:06 PM

Quote    Reply   

carl

#15 [url]

Apr 19 10 5:10 PM

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   

hewee

#17 [url]

Apr 22 10 7:47 AM

Quote    Reply   

twisty1

#18 [url]

Apr 22 10 10:21 AM

I'd check the drivers on the laptop. Update the wireless driver. How far away are you when the signal drops? Does it happen if you are in the same room as the router.
Delete the router's wireless profile from your computer, take off all security, reconnect and see if it keeps you connected. If so, add a lower level security and try again.

Quote    Reply   

wolff

#20 [url]

Apr 23 10 3:02 PM

if you are currently accessing the internet via the same router, then there is nothing wrong with your settings or the router. You are probably typing in the wrong address for the router administration, or more likely you are not typing http:// in front of the router's IP number. That's why I asked what are you typing in for the address. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help