Remove this ad

w8eeo

Lead

Dec 10 10 12:45 AM

Tags : :

Word origin of "ham" Ham. Amateur radio operators are often referred to as "hams" -- a term with a complicated history. At the start of the 1900s, "ham" was sometimes used to refer to someone as "unskilled" -- "Ham actor" being the most common example. Wire-line telegraphy employees at this time had a rich vocabulary of insults for describing less-than-capable operators, and in...
http://earlyradiohistory.us/sec022.htm

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Rachel

#3 [url]

Sep 8 14 3:10 PM

That is interesting. If I had the time, I would try to find out where many words originated from. Would be interesting to find out.

Quote    Reply   

Lady T

#4 [url]

Jan 3 16 11:16 AM

I've heard of 'ham' actors, and I thought that meant amateurs. Plus, they call someone a 'ham' if they like to show-off. I guess I am a little of both, so by it being called 'ham' radio, I think it suits me.

Quote    Reply   

Speak Easy

#5 [url]

Feb 6 16 5:26 PM

It’s always interesting to find out the origin of a word. I’m a history buff and especially when it comes to ham radios. Thanks for sharing this information, it makes for great reading. 

Last Edited By: Speak Easy Mar 11 16 3:22 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Sunshine

#6 [url]

Feb 7 16 2:32 PM

I had always (and obviously erroneously) assumed that it was somehow a mash up of amateur. I was young when I got into ham radio so I guess the question just never really occurred to me.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Pinstripe

#7 [url]

Feb 8 16 11:51 AM

As times change so does our vocabulary. It sounds like "amateur" and "unskilled" have become one in the same. I guess because amateur doesn't sound so harsh and personal as unskilled.

Quote    Reply   

Beeeebo

#8 [url]

Apr 15 16 12:44 AM

I have, of course, heard of ham acting but had never connected it to the radio name. Strange, but I always thought the term had some technical origin as an abbreviation of some components or something. This is interesting!

Quote    Reply   

masarual

#9 [url]

Apr 22 16 3:01 PM

I always love reading about word origins and all the alternate theories that people come up with. Ham as in amateur makes sense in several ways. I have heard people refer to clumsy actions as ham-handed or ham-fisted, so if operators were careless in sending code, "ham" would have sprung to mind for that reason as well.

Quote    Reply   

Spyra

#10 [url]

Apr 29 16 10:14 AM

I also thought "ham operators" was simply the short version of "amateur radio operators". Seems like it was more like a random word invented because calling them with titles mentioned in the article was too long. I'm glad that the context of the word is not so negative anymore. I wonder if the negative nickname caused people to lose interest in radios.

Quote    Reply   

White Noise

#11 [url]

May 5 16 2:19 PM

This is interesting......... the term ham, 100 years ago, was coined because of the lack of education a person had. Unskilled versus skilled. Unschooled versus schooled. Nowadays though, that word would have originated from the lack of money a person does not have to get more sophisticated equipment. Intelligence isn't revered as it once was. Now it's all about the money.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help